Posts for category: Dentistry
Our Family Dental Center Plan Program
Call Family Dental Center For More Information
After 33 years at our current location, Family Dental Center is excited to announce that we are moving to a fabulous new state-of-the-art dental facility at 908 Waukegan Rd. in Glenview, IL. Construction is beginning shortly and we look forward to treating our patients at our new facility in August, 2014!
- Dr. Michael Cullinan: As the founding father of the Family Dental Center, Dr. Michael Cullinan can still be seen occasionally at the office. Dr. Cullinan opened Family Dental Center in 1980 and began as one general dentist providing patients with the most advanced, comfortable care available to several dentists and specialists. Dr. Cullinan graduated from Loyola University School of Dentistry in 1969 and served in the United States Army as a dental officer in Germany for four years. He returned to Chicago in the mid 1970s and worked in private practice before establishing the Family Dental Center. He officially retired in 2008.
- Dr. Sean Cullinan: In 2008, Dr. Sean Cullinan assumed ownership of the Family Dental Center, after his father, Dr. Michael Cullinan retired. Dr. Sean Cullinan graduated in 2006 from Nova Southeastern University College of Dental Medicine in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. He is committed to providing high quality dentistry by incorporating the latest dental technologies in a friendly and comfortable environment. Since graduating in 2006, Dr. Cullinan continues to take advanced continuing education courses in cosmetic dentistry, orthodontics and endodontics to ensure the best care is available at Family Dental Center.
- Dr. Antonia Petrosino: Born in Chicago, Dr. Antonia Petrosino moved to Italy at the age of 10. She lived in Italy for more than 20 years and attended dental school in Rome. While she was in dental school, Dr. Petrosino found her love for orthodontics and pediatrics, and became a teaching assistant to the head of Orthodontics. After practicing in Rome for a year, Dr. Petrosino decided to move back to the United States in 1999, despite the need to go back to dental school. In 2002 she graduated from the UIC dental school and completed a one year internship with the Department of Orthodontics.
- Dr. Garry Gryotis: Originally from New Jersey, Dr. Garry Gryotis has lived in Chicago since 1974. After graduating from the Temple University School of Dentistry and Rutgers University, Dr. Gryotis served in the United States Navy and is a Vietnam War Veteran. Dr. Gryotis is trained in full mouth rehabilitation, including dental implants, fixed and removable bridges, complete dentures, and cosmetic techniques.
- Dr. Larry Zager: Born in Chicago, Dr. Larry Zager received his dental degree at Loyola University Dental School in 1978 and his oral and maxillofacial surgery training at Cook County Hospital in 1981. And in 1985, Dr. Zager became Board Certified and is also a diplomat of the American Board of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeons, in addition to numerous other memberships.
Oral Surgery Glenview, IL
Oral Surgery Today
As a Glenview dentist, I often meet with patients who have problems that require oral surgery to resolve. While the word “surgery” can invoke fear, modern technology allows most of these procedures to be done safely in our Glenview oral surgery clinic. We offer our patients conscious sedation or IV sedation to allow for a more comfortable surgical experience.
There are many types of oral surgeries routinely performed today, and dental specialists known as oral and maxillofacial surgeons do most of the surgeries.
Tooth extractions are a common form of oral surgery, and are needed for many reasons, such as:
- Impacted wisdom teeth
- Irreparable damage to the tooth due to decay or trauma
- Preparation for orthodontic work
Another common Glenview oral surgery is the placing of dental implants. This increasingly popular procedure involves surgically implanting anchors that will later attach to artificial teeth, or crowns. Our patients have been very happy with the results of their dental implant surgeries and its quick recovery time.
Problems with the jaw sometimes require a Glenview oral surgeon. The most common type of jaw surgery performed today is related to problems with the temporomandibular joint (TMJ). Other jaw surgeries are done to correct severe bite misalignments, disproportionate jaw position, and issues from a traumatic injury. Many patients have been referred to our oral surgeon in Glenview, IL to address these and other issues with the jaw.
Glenview oral surgery may also be performed to treat various types of oral cancers, including cancer of the throat, tongue, lips or palate. As a Glenview, IL dentist I’m very fortunate to have an oral and maxillofacial surgeon on staff who can perform such life-saving, precision surgeries.