A healthy smile takes more than luck. You must keep good oral hygiene habits. Do you? At Family Dental Center in Glenview, IL, our team of four dentists stress the importance of routine at-home and in-office care. These practices are your best insurance against decay, gum disease, tooth loss and problems with systemic health.
Prevention is best
Take care of your smile now, and reap the benefits of healthy teeth and gums for life. This takes is a prevention mindset. At Family Dental Center in Glenview, IL, our dentists stress preventive dentistry services such as:
- Six-month cleanings and check-ups
- Digital X-rays according to a regular schedule
- Plastic sealants to protect molars from decay
- Fluoride treatments to strengthen tooth enamel
- Oral cancer assessments for every adult patient
What else can you, as the patient, initiate and follow through with? The University of Illinois at Chicago College of Dentistry recommends these at-home guidelines:
- Remove toxic plaque by brushing twice a day and flossing once daily. Use a fluoride toothpaste and soft brush. Spend a full two minutes brushing--gently! Floss around each tooth, including your molars. Practice makes perfect with flossing skills.
- Use an antimicrobial or fluoride mouth rinse for protection against decay and periodontal problems.
- Pay close attention to your gum tissue. Report bleeding and areas of redness, puffiness, and tenderness to your Glenview, IL, dentist. These are signs of gum disease which impact both oral and overall health when left untreated.
- Drink water with your meals and through the day, too.
- Consume a high-fiber, low-carb diet. Avoid soda pop, and limit highly pigmented foods and beverages, such as coffee, because they stain your teeth.
- Wear a mouth guard if you play sports and a bite guard while you sleep if you clench your teeth.
- Inspect your teeth, gums, and tongue. Look for sores that do not heal, pimples on the gums, cracks in fillings and crowns, and dark spots on tooth enamel. Report them to your dentist.
- Do not smoke or chew tobacco. Both cause oral cancer, accelerate gum disease, stain tooth enamel and give you bad breath.
- Use good tools. When your toothbrush looks worn, replace it. Pick a flossing product you can use easily and consistently.
It's so important
Home oral hygiene habits are particularly critical during the current COVID-19 crisis. Our dentists remain at Family Dental Center in Glenview, IL, for your pressing dental needs. Contact us with any questions, and we'll see you soon! Phone (847) 998-1281.