Posts for tag: Periodontal Disease
Caring for your teeth is important, but it is just as important to care for your gums as well. After all, unhealthy gums can begin receding and lead to tooth loss, both of which are signs of periodontal disease, a condition that can lead to wide-ranging detrimental effects to both your dental and overall health. Fortunately, the dentists at Family Dental in Glenview, IL, are here to help keep your smile in top shape!
Signs of Periodontal Disease
There are several signs and symptoms that can be an indication of possible periodontal disease. If you have any of the signs of periodontal disease, your Glenview dentists can make a formal diagnose and discuss periodontal treatment options. Signs of possible periodontal disease include:
- Red, swollen, tender, or bleeding gums
- Gum sensitivity
- Receding gums
- Missing or loose teeth
- Major toothaches
- Chronic bad breath
Preventing Periodontal Disease
Periodontal disease occurs when the gums have become infected by bacteria that has been lingering on the teeth for a while. Brushing and flossing daily are important aspects of a good oral hygiene routine and can help maintain gum health. However, it is also important to regularly visit your Glenview dentist for professional cleanings to remove the plaque and tartar that can't be removed with regular brushing and flossing at home. Removing plaque and tartar buildup is also essential to maintaining healthy gums and preventing periodontal disease.
A good oral hygiene routine that promotes healthy teeth and gums and helps prevent periodontal disease should include:
- Brushing with fluoride toothpaste twice daily
- Flossing between teeth at least once per day
- Scheduling dental cleanings every six months
- Minimizing consumption of foods and drinks high in sugar
- Avoiding or stopping the use of tobacco products
Oral Surgery Options
Maintaining good oral hygiene can prevent the development of periodontal disease, but treatments are available for restoring gum health if it does occur. Oral surgery options for treating periodontal disease or other periodontal concerns include:
- Gum lift — Lifting or reshaping gums that are excessive or uneven to create a more pleasing appearance.
- Gum grafting — Grafting healthy gum tissue from one area of the mouth to another area where gum tissue is damaged or missing.
- Scaling and root planing — Cleaning teeth below the gum line to help infected gums heal and reattach to a clean tooth surface.
- Periodontal flap surgery — Cleaning “pockets” of bacteria below the gum line so gum tissue can be reattached to the teeth.
Concered? Give Us a Call
Several periodontal treatment options are available for restoring gum health and improving the appearance of gums affected by periodontal disease. For periodontal treatment, contact Family Dental's Glenview office by dialing (847) 998-1281.