Posts for tag: dental reshaping
When your smile needs a little improvement, bonding and reshaping offer a simple, low-cost solution. Your Glenview, IL, dentists at Family Dental explain how dental bonding and reshaping works and discuss several ways you can benefit from the service.
What is dental bonding and reshaping?
Small amounts of tooth enamel are removed during the reshaping part of the bonding and reshaping process. Removing enamel can change the shape or length of teeth and also correct small imperfections. During the bonding portion, a flexible composite resin is added to the teeth to repair damage or improve appearance. The material is cured with a hardening light, then polished in our Glenview office.
When are bonding and reshaping used?
Dental bonding and reshaping is an excellent option if you have:
- Chips and Cracks: Even small chips at the bottom of teeth can affect your appearance. If the chipped surface is rough, your tooth may also cut your tongue or lips. Eliminating annoying chips and small cracks are easy with bonding and reshaping.
- Shape Issues: If a few of your teeth are pointed or look a little crooked or uneven, you may be a good candidate for bonding and reshaping. Bonding can also add length to teeth that are a little too short.
- Overlapping Edges: Overlapping tooth edges affect your appearance and also trap plaque, the sticky bacterial film that causes cavities. When the edges are removed, you'll be happier with your smile and will also reduce your tooth decay risk.
- Discolorations: Teeth whitening isn't an option if your tooth is darker due to a stain deep inside it. Applying bonding material to a discolored tooth helps it blend in with your smile.
- Bite Problems: Orthodontic treatment may be the only option for severe bite issues, but contouring and reshaping offers a simpler solution for mild bite issues.
- Gaps Between Teeth: Adding a little bonding material to your teeth closes up slight gaps.
Would you like to improve your smile with dental bonding and reshaping? Call Family Dental in Glenview, IL at (847) 998-1281 to schedule an appointment.